Mash-up two family faves — schnitzel meets mac n cheese — and combine into one tasty meal.
The ingredient of Mac n cheese stuffed chicken schnitzel roll-ups
- 420g bottle Sacla Cherry Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
- 3 large chicken breast fillets
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 180g (2 cups) dried multigrain breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 30g (1/4 cup) coarsely grated mozzarella
- Micro basil or parsley, to serve
- Salad leaves, to serve
- 80g (1/2 cup) dried macaroni pasta
- 90g rindless bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 30g baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 20g butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 25g (1/4 cup) coarsely grated cheddar
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan
The instruction how to make Mac n cheese stuffed chicken schnitzel roll-ups
- To make the mac n cheese, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until just golden. Stir in the spinach and cook, tossing, for 1 minute or until it has just wilted. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until the mixture bubbles. Remove pan from the heat. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Return the pan to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce boils. Stir in the cheddar and parmesan until melted and smooth. Pour over the pasta and add the bacon mixture. Stir until well combined. Season. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce and spread the remaining sauce in the base of an ovenproof dish. Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally. Place a piece of plastic wrap over a piece of chicken. Use a rolling pin to gently pound the thickest end of the chicken until the chicken is an even thickness (try to maintain the chicken breast shape). Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Place flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Place egg in a bowl. Dip the chicken in the flour. Shake off excess. Dip in egg, then breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to coat.
- Place a piece of crumbed chicken on a clean work surface. Place a sixth of the macaroni mixture in the centre. Fold over the ends to enclose. Place in the dish on top of the pasta sauce. Repeat with the remaining chicken and macaroni mixture. Spoon the remaining pasta sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with micro basil and serve with salad leaves.
Nutritions of Mac n cheese stuffed chicken schnitzel roll-upsfatContent: 568.342 calories
saturatedFatContent: 18 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 8 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 45 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 54 grams protein