Make this tasty vegetable lasagne with roast cauliflower, creamy ricotta and cauliflower puree instead of white sauce on Sunday, ready for a weeknight dinner.
The ingredient of Cauliflower and caramelised onion lasagne
- 70ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cauliflower
- 2 large whole garlic cloves
- 3 x 310g packets baby truss tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, plus
- 1 tablespoon oregano sprigs
- 800g fresh ricotta
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- 70g (1 cup) finely grated pecorino
- 105g (1 1/4 cups) coarsely grated cheddar
- 250g packet dried lasagne sheets
The instruction how to make Cauliflower and caramelised onion lasagne
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper. Grease a 14 cup baking dish with olive oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the onion. Season. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30u00a0minutes or until softened. Add the sugar and vinegar. Cook, stirring, for 10-15 minutes or until caramelised. Transfer to a bowl.
- Use a sharp knife to cut through the centre core of each cauliflower to create eightu00a01.5cm-thick steaks (steaks may break). Cut remaining cauliflower into small florets. Reserve 1 1u20444 cups cauliflower florets. Place the cauliflower steaks, remaining florets and garlic on 2 of the prepared trays. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil and season. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until just tender. Peel the garlic.
- Halve 2 packets of the tomatoes. Place, cut-side up, on the remaining tray. Drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with 1u00a0tablespoon oregano. Season. Roast for 10-12u00a0minutes or until just tender.
- Process the roasted cauliflower florets and garlic in a food processor until smooth. Add the ricotta and milk. Process until just combined. Add the egg and half the cheeses. Process until smooth. Season.
- Spoon 1/3 cup ricotta mixture in the base of the prepared dish. Top with one-third of the pasta, breaking to fit. Spoon over one-third of the remaining ricotta mixture. Top with half the onion, half the cauliflower steaks and half the roasted tomato. Repeat layering, finishing with a final layer of pasta. Spoon over remaining ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with half the remaining cheese. Top with the reserved cauliflower florets. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and oregano. Bake for 35-40u00a0minutes or until golden and tender.
- Top with the whole tomatoes. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Stand lasagne for 10u00a0minutes before serving.
Nutritions of Cauliflower and caramelised onion lasagnefatContent: 525.322 calories
saturatedFatContent: 25 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 38 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 29 grams protein