Beautiful tuna steaks are showcased against the backdrop of rich tomato and eggplant pasta.
The ingredient of Spaghetti with eggplant, tuna and capers
- 1 large (about 500g) eggplant, cut crossways into 1.5cm-thick slices
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 (about 420g) 2cm-thick tuna steaks
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes in juice
- 185ml (3/4 cup) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 anchovy fillets, drained on paper towel, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 500g spaghetti
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Spaghetti with eggplant, tuna and capers
- Preheat grill on high. Lightly brush the eggplant with 2 teaspoons of the oil. Place on a baking tray and cook under preheated grill, about 6cm from the heat source, for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden brown and tender. Remove from grill and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Cut each slice into eighths.
- Meanwhile, lightly season the tuna with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the tuna and cook, turning once, for 4-5 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Cut into 2cm pieces.
- Drain the tomatoes in a fine sieve over a bowl. Reserve 125ml (1/2 cup) of the juice. Place the eggplant, tomato, tomato juice, stock, capers, anchovy and garlic in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Taste and season with pepper. Stir in the tuna and half the parsley. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions until al dente. Drain and return to the pan.
- Add half the tuna mixture to the spaghetti and gently toss to combine. Divide spaghetti mixture among serving bowls. Spoon over the remaining tuna mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and season with pepper. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Nutritions of Spaghetti with eggplant, tuna and capersfatContent: 426.615 calories
saturatedFatContent: 5 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 1 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 63 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 5 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 28 grams protein
sodiumContent: 33 milligrams cholesterol