This gourmet seafood pasta incorporates the decadent flavours of sauvignon blanc, cream and saffron.
The ingredient of Spaghetti with mussels and saffron
- 400g spaghetti
- 1/4 teaspoon loosely packed saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1kg black (local) mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- 30g (1 1/2 tablespoons) butter
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, halved, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500ml (2 cups) sauvignon blanc
- 250ml (1 cup) thin cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
The instruction how to make Spaghetti with mussels and saffron
- Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, following packet directions, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, place saffron and hot water in a small bowl. Set aside. Discard any open mussels.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, leek and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until they soften slightly. Transfer the onion mixture to a plate and set aside.
- Add the wine to the pan and bring to the boil over high heat. Add the mussels, cover and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, for 5 minutes or until they open.
- Pour the mussels and liquid into a colander over a large bowl and discard any unopened mussels. Rinse the pan. Return the strained liquid to the pan with the saffron mixture and bring to the boil over high heat. Stir in the onion mixture, cream and parsley. Taste and season well with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat, add the mussels and cover to keep warm.
- Drain the spaghetti and return to the pan. Add the mussel mixture and toss well to combine. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Spaghetti with mussels and saffronfatContent: 720.585 calories
saturatedFatContent: 32 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 19 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 68 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 25 grams protein