Garlic prawns straight from the frying pan make the perfect addition to this creamy, cheesy macaroni topped with crisp sourdough croutons.
The ingredient of Mac n cheese with prawns
- 200g dried macaroni
- 100g butter
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 80g (1 cup) coarsely grated vintage cheddar
- 2 slices day-old sourdough bread, torn
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 500g peeled, deveined green prawns
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 green shallots, white part only, finely chopped
- Baby rocket, to serve
The instruction how to make Mac n cheese with prawns
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, melt 60g butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture bubbles. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Return pan to medium heat and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Season with salt. Stir in the mustard, paprika and cayenne pepper. Add the cheddar and stir until cheddar is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir the sauce into the pasta until well combined.
- Divide the pasta mixture among four 375ml (1 1/2 cup) ovenproof dishes. Heat remaining 40g butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the bread and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle the bread over the pasta mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, wipe the frying pan clean with paper towel. Heat the oil in the clean pan over medium heat. Add the prawns, garlic and shallot and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes or until the prawns are cooked through.
- Remove the pasta dishes from the oven and divide the prawn mixture evenly among them. Scatter with the rocket.
Nutritions of Mac n cheese with prawnsfatContent: