This creamy mac and cheese has a crunchy potato chip topping that the kids will absolutely love.
The ingredient of Crispy and creamy mac and cheese
- 300g dried penne pasta
- 60g butter
- 2 shortcut bacon rashers, trimmed, chopped
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 125g cream cheese, chopped
- 1 cup grated Colby cheese
- 45g packet crinkle cut original potato chips, lightly crushed
The instruction how to make Crispy and creamy mac and cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Grease a 4cm-deep, 17cm x 22cm (base) 20.5cm x 26cm (top) baking dish. Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 10g butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until bacon is golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Melt remaining butter in pan. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add thyme and garlic. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth and combined. Add cream cheese and 1/2 cup cheese. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes until mixture boils and thickens.
- Add pasta to cheese mixture. Stir to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with bacon, chips and remaining cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden and crisp. Stand for 5 minutes. Serve topped with extra thyme.
Nutritions of Crispy and creamy mac and cheesefatContent: 538.228 calories
saturatedFatContent: 29.3 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 17.4 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 49.8 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 17.9 grams protein
sodiumContent: 72 milligrams cholesterol