Stuffed vegetarian gnocchi with a buttery sauce deserves to be star attraction of any menu.
The ingredient of Spinach and ricotta stuffed half-moon gnocchi with butter and sage sauce
- 3 large (800g) sebago potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 80g baby spinach
- 300g fresh ricotta
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 200g butter, chopped
- 18 fresh sage leaves
- Extra plain flour, for dusting
- Rocket, to serve
- Shaved parmesan, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Spinach and ricotta stuffed half-moon gnocchi with butter and sage sauce
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with water. Season well with salt. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Peel potatoes. Using a ricer or potato masher, mash potato until smooth.
- Meanwhile, place oil and garlic in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 30 seconds or until sizzling. Add spinach. Cook for 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Place ricotta, parmesan, mozzarella and 2 eggs in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Finely chop spinach mixture. Add to ricotta mixture. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Sift flour into a mound onto a flat surface. Make a well in the centre. Add salt, potato and remaining egg to well. Using hands, bring mixture together and knead until a soft dough forms, adding more flour if necessary. Divide dough into 4. Lightly dust flat surface with flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out 1 portion until 3mm thick. Using an 8cm round cutter, cut rounds from dough. Place 1 rounded teaspoon spinach mixture on one half of round. Fold over dough to enclose filling. Pinch edges to seal. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with remaining dough, rerolling scraps, and spinach mixture to make 42 gnocchi.
- Cook one-third of the gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until gnocchi float to the surface and are tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cooked gnocchi to a colander placed over a large bowl. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining gnocchi.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes or until bubbling. Add sage. Cook for 3 minutes or until sage is crisp and butter is golden brown.
- Divide gnocchi between plates. Spoon over butter mixture. Season with pepper. Serve with rocket, parmesan and lemon wedges.
Nutritions of Spinach and ricotta stuffed half-moon gnocchi with butter and sage saucefatContent: 711.264 calories
saturatedFatContent: 41 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 24 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 61 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 3 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 23 grams protein
sodiumContent: 218 milligrams cholesterol