This homemade nutty bread is the perfect dipping material for our wine and brandy infused cheese fondue.
The ingredient of Walnut bread
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) warm water
- 2 teaspoons (7g/1 sachet) dried yeast
- 50g butter, melted
- 300g (2 cups) plain white flour
- 215g (1 1/3 cups) wholemeal flour
- 11/2 teaspoons salt
- 230g (2 1/4 cups) walnut halves, toasted, finely chopped
- Olive oil, to grease
- Milk, to brush
The instruction how to make Walnut bread
- Combine the honey and 125ml (1/2 cup) of the water in a small bowl. Sprinkle with the yeast. Set aside in a draught-free place for 8 minutes or until foaming. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the butter and remaining water.
- Add the combined flour, salt and walnut to the yeast mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until combined, then use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl. (If necessary, add a little extra water if the dough is too dry, or flour if its too sticky).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Brush a large bowl with oil to grease. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to lightly coat in the oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm draught-free place to prove for 1 3/4 hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the centre of the dough with your fist. Turn onto a chopping board and cut in half. Shape 1 dough half into a a 35cm-long loaf. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Brush a large baking tray with oil to lightly grease. Place the loaves, about 5cm apart, on the prepared tray. Cover loosely with a tea towel. Set aside to prove for 1 hour or until the loaves rise slightly.
- Use kitchen scissors to cut 6 slashes diagonally in the top of each loaf. Brush all over with the milk. Bake for 35 minutes or until the loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped on the base. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Thinly slice the bread or cut into cubes to serve.
Nutritions of Walnut breadfatContent: 502.617 calories
saturatedFatContent: 26 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 53 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 9 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 11 grams protein
sodiumContent: 14 milligrams cholesterol