Its easy to give traditional pancakes a twist - add spices, such as ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon, then top with a thick caramel sauce.
The ingredient of Gingerbread pancakes with banana and caramel
- 125g (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 50g butter, melted, cooled
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Melted butter, to grease
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled, sliced diagonally
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) pouring cream
- 25g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
The instruction how to make Gingerbread pancakes with banana and caramel
- To make the caramel butter sauce, combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, without stirring, for 6-7 minutes or until syrup is dark golden. Remove from heat. Add the cream and butter. Swirl the pan to combine. Place over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce comes to the boil. Set aside to cool. Stir in the vanilla.
- Whisk the sour cream, milk, egg yolks and butter in a bowl until smooth.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre. Add the sour cream mixture and stir until well combined.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until firm peaks form. Use a large metal spoon to stir a little of the egg white into the batter. Gently fold in the remaining egg white.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Brush with melted butter to lightly grease. Pour 125ml (1/2 cup) of batter into the pan to form a 15cm-diameter pancake. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface and the pancake is golden underneath. Turn and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat, in 5 more batches, with melted butter and the remaining batter, reheating the pan between batches, to make 6 pancakes.
- Divide the pancakes among serving plates. Top with the banana and a scoop of ice-cream. Drizzle over the caramel butter sauce. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Gingerbread pancakes with banana and caramelfatContent: 674.458 calories
saturatedFatContent: 40 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 25 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 70 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 51 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 8 grams protein
sodiumContent: 180 milligrams cholesterol