This traditional French pineapple and brioche breakfast idea also makes for a stylish dessert.
The ingredient of Caramelised pineapple with coconut pain perdu
- 270ml can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- Finely grated rind of 1/2 orange
- 6 x 1.5cm-thick slices rustic-style bread or brioche
- 80g butter, chopped
- 1 large pineapple, peeled
- Vanilla-bean ice-cream, to serve
- Slivered pistachios, to serve
The instruction how to make Caramelised pineapple with coconut pain perdu
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Whisk coconut milk, 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, cinnamon, ginger and orange rind until combined. Add 1/2 the bread slices. Turn to coat. Stand for 1 minute. Melt 20g butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook soaked bread for 1 1/2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to an oven tray. Repeat with remaining bread, egg mixture and another 20g butter. Add slices to tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut pineapple into 12, 1.5cm-thick slices (cut triangles from edges to create star shapes, if desired). Place on a tray. Scatter with 1/4 cup sugar. Turn. Scatter with another 1/4 cup sugar. Wipe pan clean and heat over medium heat. Add 1/3 pineapple and cook for 2 minutes each side or until caramelised. Transfer to a tray. Keep warm in oven. Repeat twice with remaining pineapple.
- Wipe pan clean. Add remaining sugar and 1/2 cup water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook, without stirring, until mixture is a caramel. Remove from heat. Stir in remaining butter and 1/4 cup water.
- Divide pain perdu among plates. Top with warm pineapple and scoops of ice-cream. Spoon over caramel then scatter with pistachios. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Caramelised pineapple with coconut pain perdufatContent: 564.996 calories
saturatedFatContent: 21 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 14 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 83 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 65 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 8 grams protein
sodiumContent: 103 milligrams cholesterol