Wake up to this hearty breakfast casserole with warm layers of asparagus, cheese and egg.
The ingredient of Asparagus and cheese strata
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups (435ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 8 thick asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed, halved lengthways
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- 100g fontina cheese (see note), coarsely grated
- 4 slices spelt and rye bread (see note), crusts removed
The instruction how to make Asparagus and cheese strata
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Grease two individual 11cm x 18cm baking dishes, or 1 large dish. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and chives. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- In each dish, layer 4 halved asparagus spears, 2 prosciutto slices and a quarter of the cheese. Top each dish with 2 bread slices, then pour over half the egg mixture and press bread in to soak it up. Top with remaining asparagus, prosciutto and egg, then scatter with remaining cheese. (Alternatively, layer all the ingredients in a single baking dish.) Stand for 30 minutes (or make up to 1 day in advance and refrigerate). Bake the strata for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Nutritions of Asparagus and cheese stratafatContent: 848.45 calories
saturatedFatContent: 49 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 23 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 31 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 17 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 68 grams protein