Make the most of in-season produce with this delicious beetroot and ricotta pastry tart. This easy recipe is perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
The ingredient of Top-to-tail beetroot ricotta tart
- 2 beetroots (about half a bunch), trimmed, green tops reserved
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus extra, to drizzle
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 450g ricotta
- 3 eggs
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 60g unsalted butter, chopped, chilled
- 2 tablespoons iced water
The instruction how to make Top-to-tail beetroot ricotta tart
- To make the pastry, process the flour, oil, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add water. Process until mixture just comes together. Line a 19 x 27cm (base measurement) tart tin, with removable base, with pastry and trim excess. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, place beetroot in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook, covered, on High for 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool. Peel. Cut into wedges.
- While beetroot is cooking, reserve a few small beetroot leaves. Finely chop remaining leaves. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic. Cook for a further minute. Add chopped greens. Stir for 5 minutes or until wilted. Add sugar and vinegar. Simmer, stirring, for 5u00a0minutes or until liquid evaporates. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with pastry weights or rice. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights or rice. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- Place oven rack on bottom shelf of oven. Whisk ricotta and eggs in a bowl until smooth. Season. Scatter onion mixture over tart base. Smooth over ricotta mixture. Arrange beetroot wedges on top. Bake for 15 minutes. Transfer tart to top shelf. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until filling is firm and golden. Top with reserved beetroot leaves.
Nutritions of Top-to-tail beetroot ricotta tartfatContent: 522.454 calories
saturatedFatContent: 31 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 42 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 17 grams protein