Create the ultimate lunch time feast with these American-inspired pulled pork and red cabbage slaw sandwiches.
The ingredient of Pulled pork sandwiches with red cabbage slaw
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2kg Coles Australian pork forequarter roast boneless, skin removed in 1 piece
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock
- 2 1/4 cups (560ml) apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons crushed red chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 head red cabbage (about 250g), thinly shaved
- 1/2 medium carrot, shredded
- 8 Coles Bakery kaiser or rustic white rolls, halved, toasted
The instruction how to make Pulled pork sandwiches with red cabbage slaw
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven. Preheat to 140C. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes and 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Toss pork in the spice mixture.
- Heat a large, ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of the oil and the pork. Cook, turning occasionally, for 8-10 mins or until caramelised. Transfer the pork to a baking tray. Pour off all the fat and wipe the pot with damp paper towel. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, half the onion and the garlic. Cook for 4 mins or until onion begins to brown. Add the stock and 1/4 cup of the vinegar. Return pork to the pot, fat-side up. Bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for about 3 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove from oven, uncover and allow pork to cool for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, cook the crackling. Turn the oven up to 250C. Using a sharp knife or box cutter, score the reserved pork skin. Rub 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes into the scored skin. Lay the pork skin on a cooling rack set on a large, heavy rimmed baking tray and transfer to the oven. Cook the pork skin for 25 mins or until golden brown and crisp. Set aside to cool slightly before breaking into pieces.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the remaining 2 cups vinegar and remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar. Bring the mixture to the boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 10-15 mins or until reduced by one-third. Remove from heat and whisk in the tomato paste, chilli flakes, 3 tsp sea salt flakes and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Set the barbecue sauce aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce. Add the cabbage, carrot and remaining onion and toss to coat. Season to taste.
- Transfer the pork to a large bowl and using two forks, coarsely shred the meat. Add 1 cup of the barbecue sauce and toss to coat. Season the pulled pork to taste.
- Divide the pulled pork between the bases of each toasted roll. Spoon extra barbecue sauce over the pulled pork as desired. Top each sandwich with the coleslaw and finish with crackling pieces. Cover with the roll tops and serve.
Nutritions of Pulled pork sandwiches with red cabbage slawfatContent: 831.72 calories
saturatedFatContent: 32 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 10 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 60 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 69 grams protein