This hearty Greek-style pasta bake makes a great weekend lunch or midweek dinner.
The ingredient of Beef and eggplant pasta bake with yoghurt
- 105g (1/2 cup) risoni
- 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 1 large (about 450g) eggplant, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 250g Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Ground cinnamon, to dust
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
The instruction how to make Beef and eggplant pasta bake with yoghurt
- Cook the risoni in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 3-4 eggplant slices and cook for 3 minutes each side or until tender and slightly golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Repeat, in 3 more batches, with the remaining oil and eggplant, reheating the pan between batches.
- Heat the extra oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic, and cook for 4 minutes or until soft.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5-6 minutes or until the mince changes colour. Add the tomato paste and stir until well combined. Add the tomato and oregano, and stir until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the risoni.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Spread the mince mixture over the base of a 2L (8-cup) capacity ceramic baking dish. Arrange the eggplant, overlapping slightly, over the mince mixture to cover. Combine the yoghurt and egg in a bowl. Pour over the eggplant and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the yoghurt is just set. Dust with cinnamon. Sprinkle with the mint to serve.
Nutritions of Beef and eggplant pasta bake with yoghurtfatContent: 517.435 calories
saturatedFatContent: 35 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 9 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 25 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 26 grams protein