Start your alfresco Christmas lunch with the delicious flavours of this summertime recipe.
The ingredient of Poached turkey & prawn salad
- 1 cup (225g) fine sea salt
- 4-5kg turkey (preferably free-range)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 bunch celery
- 2 bay leaves
- Pared rind of 1 lemon, plus grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly bruised
- 2 flat-leaf parsley sprigs, plus 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 leek (white part only), rinsed, chopped
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1.2kg cooked prawns, peeled (tails intact), deveined
- 1/4 cup (60ml) chardonnay vinegar (see note)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped mustard fruits (see note)
- Truffle mayonnaise (see related recipe), to serve
The instruction how to make Poached turkey & prawn salad
- Dissolve salt with 1 cup (250ml) boiling water in a large stockpot, then half-fill with cold water. Cool completely, then add turkey and more water to cover. Stand in a cool place for 1 hour to brine the turkey. Drain and rinse turkey well.
- Return turkey to clean pan with carrot, 2 chopped celery stalks, bay leaves, rind, garlic, herb sprigs, leek and water to cover. Bring to the boil, then simmer over low heat for 1 hour, skimming occasionally. Cool completely in liquid. (You can do this a day ahead and refrigerate turkey. Freeze the stock for up to 3 months.)
- Meanwhile, place onion in a colander over a large bowl. Add sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Toss to combine and stand for 1 hour.
- Shred turkey, discarding skin and bones, and place in a large bowl with the prawns. Rinse the onion and thinly slice remaining celery on an angle, then add both to bowl.
- Gently whisk vinegar, mustard and oil, season, then add to the salad with most of the chopped parsley. Toss to combine, then scatter with mustard fruits and remaining parsley. Serve with truffle mayonnaise.
Nutritions of Poached turkey & prawn saladfatContent: