Serve this colourful tart as part of a lunch menu that is sure to impress.
The ingredient of Caramelised onion and roast tomato tart
- 4 roma tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 265g (1 3/4 cups) plain flour
- 125g chilled butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk, lightly whisked
- 60ml (1/4 cup) iced water
- Plain flour, to dust
- 50g goats cheese, crumbled into large pieces
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Caramelised onion and roast tomato tart
- Preheat oven to 200u00b0C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place the tomato, cut-side up, on 1 lined tray. Drizzle over half the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the tomato softens.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Add the sugar and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until caramelised. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place the flour and butter in the bowl of a food processor and process until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and water, and process until the dough just starts to come together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until just smooth. Shape into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 32cm-diameter disc. Place on remaining lined tray. Spread caramelised onion over the pastry, leaving a 4cm border. Top with tomato and goats cheese. Fold in edges to partially enclose. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Top with basil to serve.
Nutritions of Caramelised onion and roast tomato tartfatContent: 460.075 calories
saturatedFatContent: 27 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 14 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 44 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 10 grams protein